Friday, May 4, 2012

Markers Of Another Beautiful Memory: The Camerawalls Live In Iloilo City

This is a long overdue blog about the Iloilo leg of The Camerawalls' Pamagdoy: A Visasyan Tour.

Flashback:
February 11, 2011, it was one of those wondrous afternoons when the damp air doesn't dampen your spirit instead it whispers "something great is going to happen tonight".

Me and my friend sat there with nothing but conversation and intrigue about the indie bands that was scheduled to play that night.  Four hours after, we were taken back to the glory days of Britpop, only it was distinctly Filipino.  It might be the music, the beer or the atmosphere but everything felt surreal.  I am a fan of indie music and that night it was like being smack dab at the heart of indie music.  And The Camerawalls along with other bands who played that night, was able to take me to that special place.


Flashforward:
April 24, 2012, it was a humid night and is a good time to hear great songs that will chill you out.  It looked like a good night, except that I was on my own.  I came to a gig with the sole intention of having  a date with the band and their music.

Photo:  Antonetter Maniquis
I have been listening to Orange and Lemons, especially to their songs with lovely melodies on them and when I get to hear The Camerawalls singing "I Love You Natalie" I fell in love with their music.

Mellow Mangove is a pretty intimate place for a show.  The Camerawalls kicked the night away with cover songs and some of their original songs.  When they sung "Across the Universe"  I went "how did they know of all my favorite songs?" in my mind.  You know how you get so surprised and you barely can sing along in awe?  I consistently had that moment the whole two hours that they played.

When The Camerawalls had their show last year, we were able to get to know how nice they are.  And what's even nicer was Clem was able to recognize me and he even called out my name.  Little things like that completes a fan's story.

The Camerawalls music attracts me because of their subtle poetry and pleasant melodies.  And when they perform on the stage they remind me of The Smiths, The Cure, Belle and Sebastian and especially The Beatles.  I like to think of my self as a child lost on a different generation and being able to see them takes me home.

That night, they sung some Orange and Lemons song to the delight of some fans of the band they missed.

If you haven't listened to The Camerawalls yet, don't miss out on one of the best bands in the Philippines.  Their music is available on their website and you can follow them on Facebook for schedules of their upcoming gigs.

It was a night of friendship, fun and most of all music.  They played in front of a small crowd but what matters most was they were able to mark another beautiful memory on all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment